Thursday, May 7, 2015

FTSF: No one was around when it happened..

Hi guys! Welcome to Finish the Sentence Friday. Its basically a really cool blog hop that I TRY to do every week with some other awesome bloggers on facebook. Well, guess what? I'm co hosting this week. I am pathetically excited about this. Our topic this week is No one was around when it happened and i can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

So, what's my story? Oh sweet spongebob..I've got a million of them. I think this week, I'll go sentimental. The coolest thing that ever happened to me when no one else was around was when my youngest son finally started talking. He's got add like me and unlike me, he's also on the spectrum. Sensory processing and probably aspbergers (we're still in the process of getting him diagnosed). The poor little guy RARELY spoke until he started kindergarten this year. You know how when kids are around 1 and they start saying Mama and Dada? Yeah...didn't happen with him until he was 2. He just didn't talk. We honestly didn't think anything of it at first because he's the youngest of 3 and his big brothers would talk for him all of the time. They still read his mind...the difference is now, he gets MAD when they talk for him. But, anyway, back to the prompt.

I had given him a bath one day when his brothers were at school. He had dumped powder all over himself again (his favorite past time..still is) and we had to go get groceries. I was talking to him and after i got him out of the tub, i sat him on the floor in his room and went to get the clothes i had laid out for him when all of a sudden i hear the sweetest voice saying "momma, come back". 3 little words that had me bawling instantly. I tried to get him to say it again and he looked at me like "seriously? I am NOT a trained elephant..i won't do tricks on command". Of course, his dad was at work, his brothers were at school. It was just us and the cats. When he called me, his favorite kitty came in to see what was wrong with her kid. For the longest time, if he said "momma, come back" he was actually calling KittyKitty. It worked and he was happy, but he wouldn't do it if anyone was around. It was an entire year before he'd say anything around his brothers and dad. Now, he won't shut up (I'm not complaining) and he actually calls KittyKitty by calling for her, not me. He's a pretty awesome kid and I'm so proud of how far he's come in recent years, especially this year.

As long as I'm talking about my kids, this week was a toughie. My Angel Daughter's 23rd birthday was Monday and it was her first as an angel. I spent the day in tears when no one was around. i couldn't help it and believe me, i learned the hard way to just accept the feeling and ride it out. well, Monday afternoon was beautiful here and i needed to get outside and just be for a while before i went nuts. I went out and laid down on a blanket in the sun. A fly landed on me (some people like butterflies, but that girl was everywhere and right after she died, her dad was invaded by a fly that refused to leave him..so, when i see a fly, its my baby) and i heard her giggle. She had the most amazing giggle when she was up to something. I didn't hear the giggle in my head..i heard it as clear as i hear my kids talk. She was visiting me and trying to get me to laugh again. Of course, being half nuts myself, that fly and i had a long talk. Yes, i talked to a fly. Go ahead and laugh. I told her how much i miss her and love her and that i am trying to get back to giggling because its what made her happy. I am so grateful that no one was around to see me talking to a fly that was on my hand!

Want to link up to this? click here




http://new.inlinkz.com/view.php?id=523961" title="click to view in an external page.">An InLinkz Link-up





12 comments:

  1. First, I am so so glad you joined us at Finish the Sentence and even co-host! AWESOME! Second, (but first in my heart) is that I'm so so sorry for the loss of your Angel daughter and we have so much in common. My five-year-old son had no words for too long, and now is in the "probably not autism but close enough" category with speech and language, sensory, bleh bleh issues. Thank you! And hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Welcome. What a wonderful way to finish the sentence. I am so sorry to read about your daughter. I do believe that was her as a fly popping by to see your husband. My husband died when my two kids were wee and as I was leaving the hospital after saying goodbye to him for the final time an xray machine came flying down the hall and screeched to a halt right at my feet. My husband was an xray tech. I'd visited him many times in the hospital and this had never, ever happened before. You got a fly, I got an xray machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful stories. And I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two very beautiful stories. I can only imagine your excitement upon hearing your son's words. And I am so incredibly sorry about your daughter. As hard as I am sure it is, glad you are able to start giggling again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly so sorry for your loss. The conversations with the fly is endearing ;-) Love it that you son gets mad at his siblings now for speaking for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jessica!! I am so so sorry you have to suffer such a tragic loss!! Both of your stories are precious, and inspiring. Those words you heard from your boy? AMAZING.

    And as for your daughter, I absolutely love that you heard her giggle clear as day, and that you had that moment of clarity and confirmation through your profound interaction with her through a fly. No judgment here... only a smile and a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you guys ROCK. every day is a new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very cool first co-host post, and I'm impressed that you've managed to wend together two such different and yet both profoundly touching events.

    I totally believe you about the fly and the giggle. After my Grandad died, we saw fire engines EVERYWHERE (he had been in the London Fire Brigade) and then gradually, as time went by, we saw them on pertinent occasions, like family birthdays he would have been involved in...and yeah. I think we can be reached through things like fire-engines and flies and giggles from no-where, and it definitely counts, and is comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jessica - I just read your post to your daughter. As for your son - how amazing! And that only you got to hear his voice for a year...wow. So glad to see you here at FTSF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow we're never truly gone if someone still remembers us. How we giggled. How we talked. How we loved. Your daughter is still with us in some way, so long as you and your family hold her in your hearts. Sending hugs, and a welcome to FTSF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you wrote about your Angel Daughter and introduced us to her. Remembering her giggle is a beautiful thing. My nephew also didn't speak until after two and then he said "I want almonds." Needless to say, we all cried! Words are so powerful, whenever and however they come to us. Great co-hosting FTSF with you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss. My father passed away. He had a tattoo of my mom's name written into a butterfly on his chest and whenever I see butterflies (which is often) I feel as though it's him. Thank you for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete